This weekend-long experience (Friday evening until Sunday afternoon) is an opportunity for engaged couples to concentrate on building their relationship in preparation for marriage. It offers engaged couples a chance to get a head start on a successful marriage through the process of sharing thoughts and feelings on topics vital to marital happiness. This process is presented through the life experiences of married couples.
The encounter process uses observation, listening, and the experience of written and oral sharing. Engaged Encounter is a powerful process for couples to broaden insights into their relationship and upcoming marriage.
Five weekends are offered each year at American Martyrs Retreat House in Cedar Falls, IA.
Click here for the Engaged Encounter 2018-2019 flyer.
Please note the following information:
- With the preparing minister’s permission (typically the priest or deacon you are working with for marriage prep), please register a minimum of one week prior to the event.
- Register online with a credit or debit card by filling out the form below.
- The cost of $300 per couple includes meals, lodging, program, and materials.
- Weekends are held at American Martyrs Retreat House: 2209 North Union Road, Cedar Falls, IA 50613.
- Please arrive at AMRH by 7:00 PM on Friday. The Engaged Encounter begins on Friday at 7:30 PM and ends at 1:00 PM on Sunday.
- A refund or transfer of registration to another weekend is available if the Marriage and Family Life Office is notified at least one week before the event.
- If you have dietary restrictions or accessibility concerns, please contact the retreat center at 319-266-3543 as early as possible.
- Please bring a notebook and pen for each of you.
Please direct any questions or concerns to Matt Selby, Director of the Marriage and Family Life Office, Archdiocese of Dubuque, at email@example.com or 800-876-3546 ext. 233.
American Martyrs Retreat House
2209 N Union Rd.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613