Engaged Encounter is a weekend-long retreat experience (Friday evening through Sunday afternoon) for couples preparing for marriage. This weekend is an opportunity for couples to put aside the worries of the outside world for two and a half days in order to concentrate on building their relationship. It offers engaged couples a chance to get a head start on a successful marriage through the process of sharing thoughts and feelings on topics vital to marital happiness, including Communication in Marriage, Conflict Resolution, Finances, Sexuality, Marriage Spirituality, and more. This process is presented to engaged couples through the life experiences of married couples along with a team priest. The weekend also includes opportunities for prayer (including Mass) and interaction with other engaged couples. Engaged Encounter offers an opportunity for couples to broaden insights into their relationship and to spend time discussing important aspects of their relationship prior to marriage.
Click here for the Engaged Encounter 2019-2020 flyer.
Please note the following information:
- With the preparing minister’s permission (typically the priest or deacon you are working with for marriage prep), please register a minimum of one week prior to the event.
- Register online with a credit or debit card by filling out the form below.
- The cost of $300 per couple includes meals, lodging, program, and materials.
- The location(s) for the weekends this coming year are to be determined. More details coming soon.
- Please arrive at AMRH by 7:00 PM on Friday. The Engaged Encounter begins on Friday at 7:30 PM and ends at 1:00 PM on Sunday.
- A refund or transfer of registration to another weekend is available if the Marriage and Family Life Office is notified at least one week prior to the event.
Please direct any questions to Matt Selby, Director of the Marriage and Family Life Office, Archdiocese of Dubuque, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-876-3546 ext. 233.
American Martyrs Retreat House
2209 N Union Rd.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Registration coming soon