Day by Day History

 

A great deal of history has been made in the Archdiocese of Dubuque since its founding in 1837. The Archives Office has attempted to put together a day by day accounting of both the significant and everyday events that have shaped our history.

AugustDescription/YearLocation of material
1Aug. 1, 1999 Sacred Heart, Volga celebrates centennialThe Witness
2Aug. 2, 1929: Death of Archbishop James John Keane.The Witness
2Aug. 2, 1996: Death ofArchbishop James J. ByrneThe Witness
3
4Feast of Cure of Ars, St. John Mary Vianney, secondary patron of the Archdiocese of DubuqueThe Witness
5Aug. 5. 2000: Immaculate Conception Parish (Blessing) celebrates 125th anniversary. Located 6 miles south of Hudson, on Highway 63. First Blessing church built in 1875.The Witness
6Aug. 6, 1978: Death of Pope Paul VI (The Pilgrim Pope).The Witness
7
8Aug. 8, 1853; James and Mary Daly gave 40 acres of land for St. Theresa’sChurch in Jackson County.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 66
8Aug. 8, 1952: Death of Father Nicholas Steffen. He originated the idea of a Catholic Book Shelf in public libraries and the idea spread.The Witness
9Aug. 9: Feast of Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta) who was canonized in 1998.The Witness
10Aug. 10, 1898: St. Joseph’s, Independence. A parochial school, with spacious quarters for the Franciscan Sisters, was blessed by Fr. Geo. Heer.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 336
11Aug. 11, 1876: Cornerstone laid for St. Patrick’s in Cedar Falls. The Church was dedicated Nov. 5, 1876 by Bishop Hennessy.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 148
11Aug. 11, 1917: Birthday of Fr. Raymond Roseliep, the “priest poet”The Witness
12Aug. 12, 1912: Fr. James Mulligan became pastor of St. Joseph’s, Key West. He built a parish hall to safeguard his boys and girls from the contaminating influence of modern amusements.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p.233
13Aug. 13. 1880: St. Joseph’s, Chelsea, was deeded to Bishop John Hennessy. A new church had been built because the arrival of the railroad left the old church too far out of town.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 392
13
14Aug. 14, 1851: A church bell, donated by Mr. Floeder, was sent from Cincinnati to Guttenberg. Undoubtedly the first pealing of a church bell in Clayton County. (St. Mary’s)Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 43
14Aug. 14: Feast of St. Maximilian Kolbe, who refused a chance to escape the death camp.The Witness
Aug. 15, 1835 Cornerstone laid for original St. Raphael’s CathedralThe Witness
15Aug. 15, 1980: Centennial celebration of Sacred Heart, Dubuque.The Witness
16Aug. 16: Feast of St. Stephen of Hungary. In 1949, the Communist regime rechristened his national holiday feast to the “Day of the New Bread”.The Witness
17Aug. 17, 1905: St. Mary’s, Hazleton, a remodeled church was dedicated.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 440
18
19Aug. 19, 1964: Msgr. Francis Schuh observes fifty years as a priest; 36 years as pastor of St. Luke’s parish in St. LucasThe Witness
20Aug. 20, 1825: Archbishop John Hennessy born in Kilmallock, County Limerick, IrelandDriscoll, We pray for our priests, p. 3
20Aug. 20, 1951: Bishop Loras T. Lane consecrated.The Witness
21Aug. 21, 1994: St. Boniface, Garwin, observes its centennial.The Witness
22Aug. 22, 1926: Death of Sister Cortona Gloden, OSF, first woman to receive a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Columbia (Loras) college. Author of a history of the Franciscan Order.The Witness
23Aug. 23, 1898: Fr. Michael Nicholls became pastor of St. Patrick’s, Nevada. This marked the beginning of a memorable pastorate whih extended over 35 years.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 326
24Aug. 24, 1915: Cornerstone laid for St. Patrick’s in Waukon.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p.125
24Aug. 24, 2003: Newly constructed Newman Elementary School dedicated in Mason City. It replaced St. Joseph’s School.The Witness
25Aug. 25, 2002: St. Peter’s, Temple Hill, celebrates its 150th anniversary.The Witness
26Aug. 26, 1857: Birth of Archbishop James J. Keane in Joliet, IL.Driscoll, We pray for our priests, p. 5
26Aug. 26, 1965: Loras J. Watters consecrated as Auxiliary Bishop of DubuqueThe Witness
27Aug. 27, 1895: Corner stone laid for St. Francis de Sales, Ossian.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 228
27Aug. 27. 1838: Relics of St. Cessianus (given to Bishop Loras by Pope Gregory XVI) were in the luggage of Bishop Loras as he left France to come to the U.S.The Witness
28Aug. 28: Feast of St. Augustine. Father Ron Rolheiser reflects on the need for a contemporary St. Augustine. He suggests Kathleen Norris.The Witness
29Aug. 29, 1908: Holy Rosary, Lamotte, opened a grade school with 96 children enrolled.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 478
29Aug. 29, 1971: St. Joseph’s Parish in Wadena celebrated its centennial.The Witness
30Aug. 30, 1792 Birthday of Bishop Mathias LorasThe Witness
31Aug. 31, 1959: Wahlert Catholic Central High school opened. The school that 15 Dubuqueland parishes builtThe Witness
31Aug. 31, 1840: St. Patrick’s, Garryowen, first 3 recorded Baptisms bear the signature of Bishop Loras.Centennial History of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (1937), p. 11