Sacraments as Privileged Encounters with Jesus Christ
Fall of 2016
Overview: This theme will focus on helping participants understand that they can encounter Christ today in a full and real way in and through the sacraments and especially through the Eucharist. Teens will examine each of the sacraments in detail in order to learn how they may encounter Christ throughout life.
Goal: To help participants develop an ability to define the Sacraments and articulate experiences of the Sacraments in their own lives, recognize that all Sacraments are experienced in the midst of community, and have the opportunity to experience God’s grace through the Sacraments, specifically through Eucharist and Reconciliation.
Sacrament, Sign, Symbol, Liturgy, Transubstantiation, Sacraments of initiation, Sacraments of service, Sacraments of healing, Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Orders, Matrimony, Anointing of the Sick, Eucharist, Reconciliation, chrism, Liturgy of the Word, Liturgy of the Eucharist, Introductory Rites, Communion Rite, Concluding Rite, Tabernacle, Lectern, Altar, Original sin, Grace, Absolution, Catechumenate, Mystagogy, gifts of the Holy Spirit, mortal sin, venial sin, contrition, ministerial Priesthood/communal priesthood, Bishop, Priest, Deacon.
- Recognize that Jesus Christ is ever-living and ever-present in our lives.
- To understand that a Sacrament is a significant (privileged) encounter with Christ through His Church.
- Become familiar with the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist) and the symbols used in the Sacraments.
- Explore the story of salvation as it relates to Christ giving Himself to the Church for our Salvation through the Eucharist.
- Experience the symbols and rituals of the Mass through a re-enactment of the Mass with concurrent explanations throughout the experience. (practice Mass)
- Experience Jesus in the Eucharist. (real Mass)
- Come to know the Sacrament of Service (Holy Orders and Marriage) as ways that people commit to serving God and His Church.
- Recognize the Sacraments are an experience of a relationship, which is exemplified by the sanctity of Marriage.
- Become familiar with the Sacraments of Healing (Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick)
- Encounter Christ’s forgiveness through an opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
See below for a list of helpful resources from the Educational Resource Center (ERC).