AMERICAN MARTYRS RETREAT HOUSE
August 1-31, 2017 EVENTS
- July 31-August 2 – Iowa Conference United Church of Christ: Arrive 4:00 p.m. Monday and depart after lunch Wednesday.
- August 3-7 – Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Team arrives at noon and participants arrive at 4:00 p.m. Thursday. Participants depart at 4:00 p.m. and team departs at 5:30 p.m. Monday.
- August 4-5 – Totus Tuus: Arrive Friday evening and depart Saturday morning.
- August 6 – Secular Franciscans: 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- August 6 – Centering Prayer: 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- August 8 – Xavier Kairos Leader Retreat Day: 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- August 9 – Leading Like Jesus Workshop: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- August 11-13 – Marian Retreat for Men & Women: This retreat begins at 8:00 p.m. Friday and concludes after lunch on Sunday.
- Theme: “Our Lady of Fatima – 100 Years Later”
- In 1917, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared six times to three young children in Fatima, Portugal. She gave them a number of messages and urged them to pray for the conversion of sinners. During this retreat we will review the story of Fatima and what Mary showed the children and what she told them. We will also see how the message of Fatima is still very timely and relevant for us 100 years later.
- Retreat Director: Fr. Jerry Kopacek
- Fr. Kopacek grew up on a farm near Britt in north-central Iowa and graduated from Britt High School in 1973. He graduated from Iowa State University in 1977 with a B.A. in political science and history, and then graduated from the University of Iowa Law School in 1980. He worked for four years in Des Moines, mostly as a law clerk for the Iowa Court of Appeals. While working in Des Moines he began thinking more and more about the priesthood and began theological studies at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore MD in 1984 and was ordained as a Catholic priest for the Archdiocese of Dubuque in May of 1988.
- Fr. Kopacek has served as an associate pastor in Dyersville, Mason City, Marion and Springville. He also served as principal of Newman High School in Mason City.
- He has served as pastor in three Catholic parishes in Winnebago County, in Marshalltown, Waterloo, Dyersville, Worthington. He currently is the spiritual director for St. Pius X Seminary, for the young men at Loras College in Dubuque who are in college-level discernment and formation for priesthood.
- For further information or registration please contact American Martyrs Retreat House at DBQAMRHsec@DBQarch.org or #319-266-3543.
- August 14 – Priest Support Group: 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- August 15 – Women’s Conference Committee: 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- August 20 – Centering Prayer: 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- August 21 – Priest Support Group: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- August 25-27 – Veteran’s Retreat – Part I: Arrive 4:00-7:00 p.m. Friday and depart after lunch Sunday.
- Mayslake Ministries offers free spiritual outreach programs to our military men and women suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress. For many soldiers, life, including their spiritual life, has been forever changed by the experience of military service, deployment, and mobilization. The Veterans’ Retreat is a Christian-based program designed to help military men and women come to spiritual healing and reconciliation with God, their families and with one another. This program specifically addresses the issue of Post-Traumatic Spiritual Stress.
- This is a two-night weekend retreat offered at no cost to veterans and their spouse or significant other (who are encouraged to attend) in a place of safety, respite and support. Retreat leader, Sr. Linda McClenahan, a veteran herself, served as a communications Sergeant in the III Corps area of Vietnam. She is now a Dominican Sister and Licensed Professional Counselor and Therapist whose ministry involves helping veterans deal with trauma. Sr. Linda is assisted by Augie Sisco, Major, USMC (Ret.), a Vietnam combat veteran. He is the assistant director for our Vet’s Ministry. 2017
- COST: Free ($25 refundable registration fee) Dr. Mary Amore, Executive Director, 718 Ogden Avenue, Suite 200, Downers Grove, IL 60515 630-852-9000 www.mayslakeministries.org
- What you can Expect: · A Safe, secure environment · Being with others who “get it” · Time and processes to reconnect with God ·
- August 27-28 – Priest Council: Arrive 5:00 p.m. Sunday and depart after breakfast Monday.
- August 28 – IMPACT Planning Meeting: 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
HOLY HOUR OF ADORATION
Please join us for Eucharistic Adoration the second Tuesday of each month from
6:30 p.m.—7:30 p.m. at American Martyrs Retreat House, 2209 North Union Road, Cedar Falls. All are welcome.